Baseboards offer visual definition between the wall and your new flooring. They also offer impact protection for your walls and come in a variety of stylish cuts. While baseboard replacement isn’t necessary for new flooring installation—they can be removed and replaced—here’s why you should take your renovation project one step further with new baseboards:
- Baseboards can look dingy over time and some materials are difficult to clean. Brand new flooring looks best with brand new baseboards to match.
- Baseboards add a stylish finishing touch to any flooring project.
- There are several styles of baseboards available to match any décor, including flat, concave, geometric, curved, or contoured.
- Baseboards are lightweight and easy to handle, making installation a snap for DIYers. However, for the best flooring baseboard installation, leave it to the professionals.
Most new flooring types need a barrier between the flooring and the subfloor, which is where underlayments shine. Different types of underlayments are better for different flooring options, so here’s a guide to get you started:
- Tile flooring needs solid support from cement board underlayments or DITRA uncoupling membrane, both of which allow the tile mortar to bond to the tile.
- Laminate flooring needs an underlayment that covers minor imperfections in the subfloor. Foam laminate underlayment or acoustical laminate underlayment both do the trick.
- Hardwood flooring, whether solid or engineered, typically works best with felt floor underlayment, cork floor underlayment, or rubber floor underlayment.
- Carpet flooring is often used with foam underlayment or rubber carpet padding. Newer types, such as memory foam, are also becoming more popular.
Unlike other flooring options, vinyl flooring doesn’t use standard underlayments. Instead, plywood sheeting is the preferred barrier between the subfloor and vinyl sheets, tiles, or planks. Regardless of what flooring type you choose, our professional flooring installation experts will help you determine (and install) the best underlayments for your needs.